Over the years, the PEGI Complaints Board and Enforcement Committee have dealt with a number of cases where the rating of a game or the criteria that defined this rating required an investigation or a discussion in more detail. An ad-hoc committee of the Complaints Board (AHCB) deals with complaints that are submitted by consumers or by publishers about an age rating, while the Enforcement Committee oversees the compliance with the provisions of the PEGI Code of Conduct.
Decisions taken by these committees are automatically forwarded to the PEGI Experts Group. This ensures that mistakes, misinterpretations or inconsistencies in the PEGI criteria are corrected, and the same situation cannot occur a second time. This approach has reduced the number of cases over time and significantly improved the efficiency of the PEGI criteria.
- Ruined King (Riot Games) : PEGI 16 Upheld
The game contained an execution-style killing, which was deemed unsuitable for PEGI 12. Publisher Riot Games appealed the decision on the grounds that the context in which the killing took place made it suitable for younger players. The AHCB upheld the decision by the PEGI Administrators citing that context is not a factor in applying a classification criterion or awarding an age rating.
- Stardew Valley (Chucklefish / 505 Games) : changed from PEGI 7 to PEGI 12
When the game was originally submitted, a particular portion of the game displaying casino games (blackjack and slot machines), was not disclosed and therefore not included in the original content assessment. A more recent review revealed that this content was present in the game, resulting in an override of the original rating.
- ARMS (Nintendo) : PEGI 12 upheld
ARMS is a fighting game in the beat ‘m up genre. The gameplay revolves around hand-to-hand combat. The criterion outlined in question 33 of the PEGI questionnaire was deemed inapplicable, as the helptext of question 33 explicitly refers to question 22 in the case of beat ‘m up (“If the game focuses solely on hand to hand combat (‘beat em up’ genre), question 22 may be more appropriate (e.g. Dragon Ball Z, Street Fighter, King of Fighters, etc)”).
The AHCB concluded that question 22 is more appropriate for this game (Depictions of non-realistic looking violence towards human-like or animal-like characters). The rating of PEGI 12 (Violence) was upheld.
- Destiny 2 (Activision) : PEGI 18 upheld
The AHCB agreed with the PEGI administrator that due to a character being restrained while violence is taking place, it meets the criteria for questions 1 and 3 in the PEGI questionnaire. Question 1 explicitly mentions ‘physical torture’, while question 3 explicitly mentions ‘violence toward defenceless human-like characters.’ Both questions apply correctly, resulting in the PEGI 18 classification.
- Surgeon Simulator (Bossa Studio) : PEGI 18 upheld
- Infinity 2 (Disney Interactive) : changed from PEGI 12 to PEGI 7
- Spellforce 2 (Nordic Games) : changed from PEGI 16 to PEGI 12
- Way of the Dogg (505 Games) : PEGI 16 upheld
- Draw Slasher (Mass Creation) : PEGI 16 upheld
- Battlefield Heroes (Electronic Arts) : PEGI 16 upheld
- Alan Wake, Microsoft Studios (PEGI 18)
- NHL 13 (Electronic Arts) : changed from PEGI 16 to PEGI 12
- Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm (Nintendo) : PEGI 12 upheld
- Sims Medieval (Electronic Arts) : changed from PEGI 16 to PEGI 12
- Diablo III (Activision) : changed from PEGI 18 to PEGI 16
- Metroid Other M (Nintendo) : PEGI 16 upheld
- Suske en Wiske: de Texasrakkers (Foreign Media Games) : changed from PEGI 12 to PEGI 7
- Scrabble 2009 (Ubisoft) : changed from PEGI 16 to PEGI 12
- Barbie & 3 Musketeers (Activision) : changed from PEGI 12 to PEGI 7
- Star Wars: Clone Wars (Activision) : PEGI 12
- Piraten - Volle Breitseite (Hamburger Medien Haus) : changed from PEGI 7 to PEGI 3
- LEGO Indiana Jones (Activision) : changed from PEGI 12 to PEGI 7
- Animal Crossing (Nintendo) : changed from PEGI 12 to PEGI 7
- Zack & Wiki (Capcom) : from PEGI 12 to PEGI 7
- Test Drive (Atari) : changed from PEGI 3 to PEGI 12
- Power Rangers (Disney Interactive Studios) : PEGI 12 upheld
- Pokémon Battle Revolution (Nintendo) : PEGI 7 upheld
- Global Conflict Palestine (DTP Entertainment) : changed from PEGI 16 to PEGI 12
- Scrabble 2007 (Nintendo) : changed from PEGI 12 to PEGI 3
- Trauma Center (Nintendo) : changed from PEGI 7 to PEGI 12
- Kirikou (Emme) : PEGI 7 upheld
- Shrek 3 (Activision) : changed from PEGI 12 to PEGI 7
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Electronic Arts) : changed from PEGI 7 to PEGI 12
- Atlantis 3 (DreamCatcher) : changed from PEGI 3 to PEGI 12